Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Do Unto Others

I bought a bottle of wine today for my sweet husband's Admin. The story pretty much begins and ends here ... but with loads of little details right in the middle.

Cassie filled out the reimbursement request for the week husband was in Dublin, Ohio, for him. This is above and beyond the call of duty for her; and picking up the "thank you" bottle of wine is an errand I've run before.

But, as I drove to the store, the events of the week I single-handedly parented the two little Picketts flashed thru my mind. Topping the list of best memories would be Itty Bitty Baby's fall from her crib on the last night of him being away and me having to take two scared, little children out into the night to have her examined at the Pediatric Afterhours Clinic. (Sidenote: she was FINE and has agreed NEVER, EVER to climb out of her crib again.)

Surely, this warrants some hazard pay for yours truly I began to think as I drove along. And, as today is Wednesday, I thought I might just run over to the Farmer's Market to get some of those gorgeous mums the flower man was selling on Saturday for $6 a pot, or $15 for three!!

First, though, I went to get the wine, a very specific brand that was unavailable in anything but super duper gallon size. Okay, that's fine, more $$ than I planned to spend but he'll get back loads from the trip, thanks to her.

Next I head over to the field where the Farmer's Market is held. As I pull the car into a parking space, I suddenly remember Flower Man telling me that he is not there on Wednesdays. Okay, that's fine, the Farmer's Market is my favorite place in the world and it is a radiantly beautiful autumn day so I'll just walk around.

The last booth I walk past is our favorite vendor, a nice man who sells delicious Middle Eastern deli items. And there I bought for my sweet husband an amazing cream cheese, sun-dried tomato sandwich in phyllo dough. Yum! His favorite.

So, a great big bottle of wine for Cassie. A yummy sandwich for sweet husband. It DOES feel better to give than to receive.

No comments: