Thursday, October 4, 2007

Caillou, Oh Caillou

Caillou is on, and even though there are no kids around right now, I am watching it. The show has turned into must-see tv for me. It started out as an indulgence for Griffin who, like Caillou, is 4 years old and has a little sister.

I **thought** the show would be instructive for Griffin because he could see how a boy his age relates to a little sister. Caillou gets frustrated with Rosie but also helps take care of her and likes to play games with her.

Allowing Griff to watch the show was a big deal for me because I had always thought that I detested Caillou. I thought he was a whiny brat (gasp!) and that his parents were simps. And, of course, I thought his mom was frumpy.

Since we've been watching Caillou over the past few weeks, however, I feel like I have become a better mom. The show has been very educational for me because Caillou is allowed to act in an age-appropriate way. The narrator does a wonderful job of labeling Caillou's feelings "Caillou was frustrated" and yet has such a soothing, nonjudgmental voice. The show gives me the words I need when I'm just too tired to be imaginative.

And, in a recent episode, I saw Caillou's mom in a new light. She is just right ... just like the show.

No comments: