Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Wands, Pentacles, and Flexible Feet

Griffin's nursery school teacher observed today that Bela's feet can lay flat when turned on their side, just like Griffin's feet do when he is sitting down for story time. Evidently this is not average range of motion for children's feet. My youngsters are yogis in the making! My extraordinary flexibility is their birthright!

Bela awakened early, early today. Consequently she took an early nap this morning. I laid her down at 8:15, by 8:30 the screaming had subsided, and she was asleep until 10:30, leaving a nice chunk of time for Griffin and I to read a Scooby-Doo chapter book and draw together.

She is sleeping again now (it is 2:30) and I am downloading a trial version of Adobe Premiere Elements 4 so I can update some images on the nursery school website.

Usually Bela is exhausted by the time we drop Griffin at nursery school so we do nothing fun together but come home for her nap. It is a seamless routine that really works for me ... most of the time. It was a nice departure from that routine today to pop into a little store near Griffin's school after dropoff. Triple Goddess Bookstore. The name alone should conjure images of incense, paganism, and cat worship. The owner is fantastically nice. She let Bela have two balloons and green Mardi Gras beads. And, she gave me my first Tarot card reading.

Dunn, dunnn, dunnn (does that sound like a drum roll when you read it???)

I pulled the Knight of Pentacles (my background card); the Six of Wands (the present day); and the Five of Pentacles (my future).

Anyway, for the interpretation > Knight of Pentacles means victory in the realm of things we need to live our lives (health, job, etc.); Five of Wands - Crap! I don't remember. Bela was getting really close to the ivory Kwan Yin statuette. Admittedly I was less concerned about her safety than about owing the store Brett's next paycheck for things broken. Six of Pentacles is related to my spiritual center. It is about transcending the mundane to make a connection.

Overall, it was not at all what I feared from watching movies my entire life. As openminded as I believe myself to be, I still had a pang of terror that she would pull a card, her eyes would grow big, she would sigh heavily, holding the card to her chest, and say "My dear, dear girl. It all ends so quickly!"

2 comments:

The Jolly Mama said...

I just googled my Tarot results and the findings are less stellar than I had first hoped. It is possible that I transposed the numbers and that it was five of wands/six of pentacles.
Ehhh. I'm really more of a science & math girl. But, Linda, the owner of Triple Goddess, seemed nice enough. :)

The Jolly Mama said...

BTW, I wonder how many other bloggers leave comments on their own sites? It started as a way to get people to comment, but as of yet, hasn't really worked out like that.