Friday, January 25, 2008

Television

I told Griffin & Bela today that they were about to meet their new babysitter, TV. But really, there are many, many programs that I like (and no, not all are kid-related).

This year I have broken my long-standing rule of not getting involved with a show in its first season. In the past, it has only led to heartbreak when the show was not continued. Notably Alicia Silverstone's "Miss Match" and Tony Shaloub's show about a crazy writer and his uptight editor, Neil Patrick Harris. Poor me, I kept waiting, week after week for the shows to come back on the air. Even going so far after the cancellation of "Miss Match" to write to NBC and denounce their sure-to-flop replacement, "The Apprentice." Well, we all know how that turned out. But I do insist that right was on my side in that case.

THE list (organized by network):
Chuck
Biggest Loser
Bionic Woman
Thirty Rock
The Office
My Name is Earl
WifeSwap (horrifying, I know!)
Super Nanny (even more horrifying! but hoping I never wind up ON it)
Samantha Who?
The Women's Murder Club
Dirty Sexy Money

And I can't wait until next Monday, when "The New Adventures of Old Christine" returns. That date is also the opening of the new yoga and pilates program at my health club so maybe I won't turn into a total couch potato.

In close, I would like to honor the memory of young actor, Heath Ledger, who passed away this week. It was quite shocking and very sad. He has a young daughter and was a gifted actor. He recently portrayed the Joker in a new installment of The Batman, and for that, he garnered my attention and admiration. Despite my feelings (or perhaps because of them, and my complete disgust with the celebrity saturated news), I was aghast that The Today Show led with the story of his surprising death, giving the stock plunge (the worst day for our markets since 9/11) second billing. What is this "Entertainment Tonight" for the breakfast crowd?!?

No comments: